What is the i-Lab Innovation Contest?
Since 1999, the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research organizes each year a competition to create innovative technology companies: the i-Lab innovation competition.
The aim of i-Lab is to detect and support business projects - pre-creation or start-up phase - with significant potential for growth and impact from innovative technologies. Bpifrance and its partners provide additional financial support.
Financing supports the R&D program and related market studies. Visit terms and conditions of support for the i-Lab competition are :
- The eligible expenditure is limited to €1 M
- Assistance is provided in the form of grants up to a maximum of 600 k€.for a maximum project duration of 3 years.
Since its creation, the i-Lab innovation competition has helped some 2,500 prizewinners.
Am I eligible for i-Lab? Test your eligibility in 1 minute for free!
What are the i-Lab eligibility criteria?
The project owner may be :
- A company : if the company is created, it must not be more than two years old. It must not be more than 25% owned by another company. The applicant must be a shareholder in the company.
- At the project stage (prior to company creation)
The project must involve an innovative technology with an established proof of concept.
In their i-Lab application, project leaders must :
- demonstrate market potential and economic viability ;
- Display a complementary team, and demonstrate the candidate's ability to carry out the project;
- control the project's intellectual property and freedom of use;
- and demonstrate positive environmental and social impacts.
Although the criterion of public research is no longer explicit in the i-Lab competition specifications, the link with academic laboratories, in a logic of technology transfer or partnerships, remains a bonus in the evaluation of projects.
When should you apply for the 26th i-Lab competition?
La 26e i-Lab competition is now open! Closing date for applications is February 1, 2024.
Our experts are at your disposal to accompany you and maximize your chances of success. Book a 20-minute appointment with one of our grants and subsidies experts!