Grimaud is an ETI, a family group created in 1966 specializing in animal genetics, biopharmacy (vaccines for humans and animals) and novel farming (precision farming and emerging animal proteins). Its ambition is to become a major and innovative player in its markets.
The activities are spread over 18 subsidiaries around the world, with a turnover of € 325 million, and 1,800 employees.
As genetic selection markets are mature and largely consolidated, this makes them markets with very strong R&D challenges with significant competition with strong competitiveness challenges. The main challenge therefore remains product performance, but service innovation is also becoming an important criterion of differentiation.
Within the Grimaud Group, for a long time, the emphasis was placed on the product and technological innovation. The other types of innovation (business model, services, management, organization, etc.) existed, but were loosely structured. In addition, the various departments of the group did not sufficiently appropriate this culture of innovation.
Innovation processes outside the pure R&D framework are much less established and natural in the culture and organization of Grimaud. Also, the management of Grimaud realized that in order to carry out an innovation strategy that goes beyond the strict framework of the product, the deployment of a certain culture and processes throughout the organization was necessary to train the teams to a global and transversal innovation.
The challenge was also to harmonize all the subsidiaries by creating a cross-functional R&D and Marketing pole for align innovation capabilities with business strategy.
Solutions provided by GAC GROUP
The main objective of a first diagnosis was to draw up a quantifiable and pragmatic observation of current practices. All the fundamental factors determining innovation performance have been taken into account (16 areas of innovation, leadership, roles, culture, etc.).
GAC Groupe and its partner Ecogeneris carried out this Diagnostic Innovation with 2 subsidiaries according to the following approach:
- Environmental scan : interviews with members of management to understand the context and issues related to the field of activity.
- Diagnostic : quantitative questionnaire processed using InnoSurvey technology addressed to 3 profiles: 7 to 10 managers; 8 to 20 employees; 5 to 10 external (customers, suppliers, service providers) so as to also have a complete view of the perception of the company.
- Results analysis : realization of collective workshops to validate or invalidate certain hypotheses.
- Summary and recommendations: proposals for additional actions (training in corporate culture, participatory workshop on customer knowledge, training on governance tools, etc.)
After realizing the need for more transversal innovation, the Grimaud Group has entered more concretely into a phase of testing new practices.
A training in innovation management methodologies was therefore organized with referent members of each subsidiary.
Of areas for improvement have been identified relating to cultural, managerial and organizational inhibitors… as well as untapped potential (targeted strengthening of innovation capacities that support the growth and profitability strategy.
Finally, in each monthly management committee, a follow-up will be put in place to ensure the proper implementation of the new processes. The goal is to conduct this change management around the culture of innovation without burdening the existing governance systems.
Why did you choose GAC?
Testimony of the Scientific Director of the Grimaud Group:
‘In conclusion, this diagnosis allowed us to create a common language, to strengthen the culture of innovation beyond R&D, to mobilize and unite all the teams around a clear and shared vision on the priority axes of improvement towards the efficiency of our development strategy, taking into account the challenges of our current and future markets'.
GAC Group's mission has enabled:
- Collective awareness on the extent of "innovation" within a company beyond the R&D department
- Concrete recommendations on areas for improvement to become a leader in their field of activity: customer knowledge, internal transversal communications.
- Proposals for the construction of an organization and process through training on the MVIS method (Minimum Viable Innovation System) - Agile method
- An inventory that will allow the creation of a Roadmap transverse for the whole group.